Cistercian abbey of Cwm-hir is of great historical significance. Its early history is somewhat obscure but the permanent foundation
dates to 1176. It was twice attacked during the late twelfth century by Hugh de Mortimer and eventually given a Norman charter.
From 1197 onwards, the earlier wooden building began to be replaced by a more permanent stone structure and, although it was
never fully completed, the abbey was, at this time, of a size that was only surpassed by those at York Durham and Winchester .There
is a also long-standing tradition, based on the evidence of one chronicle, that the body of Llywelyn ap Gruffudd was buried
at Abbey Cwmhir after his death at Cilmeri, near Builth Wells, in 1282.
The remains of the abbey ruins are
open to the public and can be acsessed off the village road. There is also a stone slab layed here to
commemorate the burial of PrinceLllewellyn.
Close to the Abbey is a large man made lake which is stocked
with trout .